Sighisoara Medieval Citadel

- Hotels in citadel - online booking-                                             English Romana

HOME >>ABOUT SIGHISOARA MEDIEVAL CITADEL

The Towers History

  In the 3rd century BC, at the today location of Sighisoara there has been a castle named SANDOVA. This is proven by many weapons, ceramics objects discovered here. Above the old castle the Romans have raised a new one in the 1st century. The place was well chosen, in he center of Transylvania.
At the beginning of the 15th century Sighisoara has suppored the principle of Muntenia between 1431-1435 in the occupation of the throne of Tara Romanesca. His coins made here were used widely in the whole Transylvania.
In 1511, there has been the biggest revolution its history, the poor of the town has raised against the rich.
In his way to Alba Iulia in 1600 Mihai Viteazul himself has been here, before he proclaimed the union of the 3 principates: Tara Romaneasca, Transilvania, Moldova.
A big honor in the towns history was the Dieta Transilvaniei". Many years ago this "Dieta Transilvaniei" had vote Gheorghe Rakoczi the 1st as leader, permanent ally of the leader of Tara Romaneasca and Moldova.
Sighisoara has a period of glory, as it becomes an important center of arts. Sculptors, painters from the south of Germany, Austria with native personalities as Elias Nicolai has contributed to the prosperity of the town.
In the 17th century Sighisoara lives through hard times because in the towns history were many disasters recorded: siege, hunger, plague, inundation, earthquakes, fire.
In the 19th century, meanwhile the revolt from 1848, the region of Tarnava rivers is the scene of dreadful fights. In 1849 took place the battle at Albesti, where one of the greatest Hungarian revolutionist, Petofi Sandor has felt at duty. In his memory at Albesti an imposing statue has been errected.
After the first world war the oppressed nations are requesting their freedom. At the meeting at Alba Iulia in December of 1918 declares the union with Romania.

^top

Casa Vlad Dracul Clock Tower

The Tower of Smiths

Medieval Fortess

Segesvar is a UNESCO protected town and from 1999 it is a part of the wold-treasure. It has a medieval castle what is inhabited today as well. On the settlement's hill there was built a castle in 1280 for the first time. In the XVI.th century under the castle there established masters concentrated in well organized crafts. Thanks to their good financier status soon they'd built a 930 m long and 4 meter heightt stone wall around the castle. In the XV.th century the height of the wall arrised with another 3-4 meter and during the following 200 years the height of the wall somewhere attained 15 meter.
They've built 14 watch-towers as well what were named after the crafts that backed up there building. 9 of the 14 thechamber's's, thtailor's's, the smith's, the skinner's, the boot-maker's, butcher's, thjeweler'ss, the cord-maker's and the clock-maker's towers still stand. Unfortunately today doesn't exist the barber's, the fitter's, weaver's and the cooper's tower.
The biggest the symbol of the city is the 64 meterhigh clock-tower built in the XIV.th century. Its 2 meter thick wall protected the ammunition, the archive and the treasury of the town. Until 1648 it had had a clockwork made of wood when it was changed into one made of iron. Then appeared the wooden motions representing the days of the week in the tower's window. The colored majolica pottersere put onto the roof of the tower in 1894. Onto 1556 the council of the town had its seat on the first floor as well. From 1899 the Clock-tower has given place to the history museum of the town.

^top

Hilly Church

The hilly church of Sighisoara was built between 1345 and 1525. Dew to its restoration and afforcement of its backing it got Europa Nostra award. In the crypt from its basement there are lairs from the XVI-XVIII.th century. The interior and exterior frescoes got to the surface with the help of the donation of Messerschmitt foundation from Munchen. The restoration works took 8 years (1991-1999). The church is a real masterpiece storehouse: sculptures, icons, beautiful altars delights us.

Hilly Church

^top

Vlad Dracul House

 Vlad Dracul House

The ancient house of the Vlad Dracul family is situated on the Council tower square in what after the assumptions the dreadful Vlad Tepes born. The son of an ancient imperator of Tara Romaneasca was well-known for his cruel executions through what he disposed of his enemies. From this born the world-wild known legend of Dracula. Vlad Tepes so called Dracula probably borned in this house in 1431 and supposedly he also lived here until the age of four as his father lived between 1431-1436 in the castle-town. Actually in the house functions a bar and a restaurant.

^top

Covered Stairs

The roofed student stare was built in 1662. Then it had 300 stairs and it was roofed to protect the in school going children. After the modification works of 1849 remained only 175 stair.

Covered Stairs

^top

Medieval Art Festival Sighisoara

In the last weekend of July Sighisoara waits for Europe, to the biggest Medieval Festival of Romania. The archaic streets, the castle what raise above the town is dominated by a medieval atmosphere. This year's festival has 10 sections: theatre, music, art, exhibition, film, dance, book exhibition, concerts to the youth and conferences of different subjects but out of these naturally there will be street clambakes, night concerts, choir-music, middle-age dress exhibition, middle-age dance competition as well. Between the guests there will be national and international university acting companies and private companies as well. About what does it mean a medieval festival lets let to talk the previous year's photos better!

Festivalul de Arta Medievala Sighisoara Medieval Art Festival Sighisoara Tobosarul cetatii

^top

Cloister Church

In Sighisoara the first Dominican cloister was built in the XIII.th century what was rebuilt between 1484-1515 with the motives what can be seen today as well. It hasn't remained a lot from the past of the building what lived so much. We may see a baptistry made in 1440 "by Jacob master" an oriental carpet-collection of 35 pieces from the XIII.th century and a baroque altar an a marvelous organ made in 1680 dew to what the church gives place to several organ-concerts.

Cloister Church

^top